This LPDD model executive order can be used to establish a state or local “Green Fleet Transition” program. The Model Order begins with the identification of some of the benefits that would result from a green fleet transition program, including the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, reduced emission of the traditional pollutants that harm public health, and fiscal savings accruing from reduced fuel and maintenance costs associated with the operation of electric vehicles. It calls for the development by the state or municipal department responsible for vehicle procurement of a plan for the orderly transition of the government fleet over time. Such a plan would:
- provide for the retirement and disposition of ICE vehicles and the procurement of AFVs in accordance with a timetable consistent with deep decarbonization goals;
- require AFV procurement to follow lawful and fiscally responsible procedures, in accordance with specifications that account for the whole-life costs of vehicles;
- allow for joint procurement with other governmental entities;
- require the identification and utilization of available governmental incentives;
- accommodate the special needs of Police, Fire and other departments requiring vehicles with particular performance capabilities;
- require the procurement and installation of the infrastructure needed for convenient recharging of the electric vehicles added to the fleet; and
- require periodic reporting and program adjustments.